Osteopathy in Woking Surrey
The role of Osteopathy focuses on but is not limited to the treatment and rehabilitation of pains in the muscles and joints, and is very commonly thought of for pain in the back or neck.
People often ask is Osteopathy safe. You will be pleased to hear that the answer is a resounding yes. The side effect after treatment is sometimes soreness and aching which can last a few days, but these side effects are minor.
As a primary care profession Osteopathy can be used to help treat other conditions beside that of back pain, muscles, and joints such as osteoarthritis of the hip and knee, other conditons that are treatable include headaches, menstrual disorders, nerve pains such as Sciatica.
The skill of an Osteopath is one of blending a number of different manual techniques to help improve skeletal function according to the diagnosis. There are many areas of back pain that can be treated including severe middle back pain.
As an Osteopath in Woking. I treat many people from all walks of life, and treat both acute and chronic back pain or any other form of painful joint or muscle. For example people often experience back pain after exercise or exertion and Osteopathic treatment can help somebody recover quickly to get back to the activities whether at high level or just recreational quickly
- Myofascial release: Whereby soft tissue is manipulated, stretched and released often a prequel to:
- Joint mobilisation: Whereby joints are moved through a range of motion to enhance general mobility and to help stretch joints
- Muscle Energy Techniques: Where a force is applied against a patient’s active force and which can help reduce muscle tension
- Strain / Counter strain: Where tension around a joint is reduced by putting a joint in a position of maximum ease
The scope of Osteopathy extends beyond the remit of back pain and can also help or at least influence clinical outcomes in such varied conditions as respiratory conditions e.g. asthma, to irritable bowel and menstrual disorders.
However Osteopathy is best known for the treatment of spinal conditions such as low back pain, and neck pain. This can happen throughout life and for a multitude of reasons, such as lifting, accidents, poor posture, worn joints and disc problems to name just a few.
Currently the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE), recommends both Osteopathy and Acupuncture in the treatment of low back pain.
What can Osteopathy be used for?
There are many conditions that Osteopathy can treat, below are listed the more common conditions that are treated here at may practice in Woking, Surrey.
- Low back pain
- Neck pain
- Shoulder restriction/pain
- Joint / muscular discomfort- treatment can reduce your level of discomfort and increase mobility
- Non-surgical treatment of arthritis especially knees, hips, neck and lower back
- Headaches – all varieties
- Tendon problems all varieties including tennis elbow, Achilles, golfers elbow
- Sciatica, and all other nerve irritations
Should you suffer from any of the above or indeed any other joint or health problem, we are likely, with our multidiscipline approach to be able to make a difference. If we cannot help we will tell you so.