"Whenever sciatica, tennis elbow, shoulder and lower back pain have bedevilled me my first port of call has always been Laurens Holve. His unique blend of insightful knowledge, gentle humour and well-aimed therapy have quite literally kept me going for years."
"I have been going to see Mr Holve for over 15 years. Whether a serious injury from playing Rugby or a long term back problem from my Cricket, Mr Holve has never failed to either help me heal quickly or cured the condition with minimum fuss. I would never go anywhere else."
"To have confidence in a practitioner is fundamentally important to me. I have been treated by Laurens Holve for over 20 years. He is quite simply my first port of call. Always treating whatever problem with great expertise, honesty and constant common sense; with humour never far away."
"As a runner I have consulted Laurens Holve on a number of injuries I have sustained. Always knowledgeable and clear in his diagnosis. He has used both Osteopathic and Acupuncture treatments, which I have found highly effective. I would strongly recommend Laurens Holve to everyone."
"As a fellow acupuncturist, I have been visiting Laurens for many years when I have needed treatment for various ailments. I can thoroughly recommend his professional approach to treatment & admire his dedication to updating his skills through attending relevant courses. Being an acupuncturist myself, I am very careful about who I will let treat me. The fact that I have been Lauren’s patient for many years should speak volumes itself."
"Laurens Holve is an exceptional health practitioner. Trained and skilled in multi disciplines I am pleased to have had the privilege of working with him throughout my twenty six year career. His knowledge is matched only by his instinct with regard to the structural medicine offered by osteopathy. His experience as an acupuncturist has him, in my opinion, as a leader in a field of invaluable therapeutic benefit. By being able to combine this with osteopathy and his training in traditional Chinese medicine he leaves me with no hesitation in supporting his work through this testimonial. He is a wonderful colleague, friend and human being to whom I have turned both personally and, on behalf of my patients, professionally for both physical ailments and psychological support."
"I have known Laurens for thirty years and he is the only person whom I would completely trust with my back and neck problems. Not only is he an excellent, first-rate osteopath, but he also gives great advice on aftercare and maintaining good back health. I have seen a few back doctors in my time, but Laurens is unequivocally the best. I never hesitate in recommending him to all my friends who have back problems. I just hope he doesn’t decide to retire early!"
"If you have a bad back, a bad neck, a bad leg, or a bad anything else, Laurens Holve is your man. Some osteopaths are osteopaths. Laurens Holve is a magician."
"We have been treated by Laurens on a number of occasions for shoulder and lower back problems. Each time, after one or two short treatments, the pain and restricted movement has been resolved. The last episode involved a slipped disc and muscle spasm that meant I could not get up or walk easily. Both manipulation and acupuncture helped and within 2 days I was able to move properly. We would unreservedly recommend Laurens and have already done so as he is very gentle, clear in what the problem is and how he is going to resolve it, personable and an excellent osteopath."
"As an international consultant I have to be in a tip-top condition all the time to give my best to clients, workshop participants, colleagues and suppliers. To give the best, I have to feel great. Laurens fixes backs, necks, arms, shoulders, knees, ankles etc. I default to him for any joint or muscle pain. He accurately diagnoses cause, works on repair and leaves you to do the exercises and activities to complete the job - with an accurate prognosis for healing time. So I feel great - and no tear or minor sports injury stops me from being at the top of my game. And in my spare time? I'm a field archaeologist. Laurens' healing keeps my back supple so I can play my full part digging and trowelling with the team."
"I was under the care of the National Neurological Hospital in central London after losing muscle and strength in my left arm. An MRI revealed protruding discs causing pressure on the spinal cord such that there was loss of muscle/ function and I was due for major surgery through my neck thats associated with a 15% chance of incurring serious complications. Luckily for me, I was introduced to Laurens Holve at his practice in Oakeshott Avenue, Highgate, Laurens performed his initial assessment, taking the more comprehensive perspective that regarded my problem as part of me as a person and not just based on an MRI scan, and after a handful of treatments I regained approximately 50% of power in my arm and thus averted major surgery. I am endebted and totally endeared by Laurens and cannot thank him enough."
Knee pain is incredibly common. It affects as many as a third of all teenagers and young adults in the UK at some time. Knee pain is a special problem for athletes — over half of all athletes endure it every year.
One of the most common reasons for knee pain areSwollen or torn ligaments, meniscus (cartilage) tears and runner’s knee.
There are plenty of other things that can go wrong. Other conditions that cause knee pain are:
- Osteoarthritis. This condition is a frequent cause of knee pain in athletes and non-athletes alike more common in those over 60. A link to a paper giving evidence based review for treatment of knee osteoarthritis using Acupuncture.
- Bone chips. Sometimes, a knee injury can break off fragments from the bone or cartilage. These pieces can get stuck in the joint, causing it to freeze up. You may also have pain and swelling.
- Bursitis. A bursa is a sac of fluid that cushions and protects muscle layers over your joints. There are several in different parts of your knee. Overuse, a fall, or repeated bending can irritate the bursa, causing pain and swelling. One type of bursitis is the so called “housemaid’s knee” as it is often caused by kneeling.
- A “Baker’s cyst” — a swelling behind the knee — can also result from injuries and from conditions like arthritis.
- Iliotibial band syndrome. The Iliotibial band is a piece of tough tissue that runs from your hip down to your shin. If it’s irritated by overuse or other problems, it can become swollen and cause pain on the outside of the knee.
- Osgood-Schlatter Disease. This condition occurs in teenage years and is an osteochondritis which causes a painful bump below the knee where a tendon from the kneecap connects to the shin.
- Tendonitis, or swelling of the tendons. Tendons are tough bands of tissue that connect your bones and muscles. Overuse can make the tendons inflamed and sore. One type of knee tendonitis is called “jumper’s knee.”
It is always advisable to have knee injuries properly assessed. Laurens Holve is trained to do this.
If an old knee injury was not properly treated, it may keep causing occasional, or constant, knee pain.
Both Acupuncture and some Physical treatment are effective in helping to reduce pain and help retain functioning of the knee.